Before Google.com's debut, conventional search engines would rank web pages by the number of times the search terms were found within the web page. However, Brin and Page thought that perhaps a better way would be to rank the relevance of the webpage by the number of pages and the importance of those pages regarding the search ter
m. This new system of ranking webpages was named PageRank, named after Larry Page.
They decided to name their new website, Google, a play on the word googol which is the term for the number one followed by one hundred zeroes. This was a reference to the infinite possible returns on searches and, perhaps, the infinite possibilities that their site could (and would eventually) grow into.
Google's corporate headquarters is located in Mountain View, but have expanded their offices to many regions, including South America, Europe, and India.
Web Communication & Publishing
Wireless Infrastructure in Cities: Their vision is to create incredibly ultra-fast internet connections by building fiber-optic broadband networks across the country. They are doing this to create a better and faster internet
- Hardware Products: Google’s latest entry was into the cell phone industry. It released its highly anticipated Nexus One in 2010, and uses Google’s own Android open-source operating system.
- Cloud Computing: This is based on the theory of relying on faraway data centers and computer servers to do the heavy lifting; users will not need powerful, expensive PCs. It has long been a focus for Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt, who devoted his doctoral dissertation at UC Berkeley to the topic. It is still a concept that is being developed, and can be expected to be seen in its entirety by 2012.
- Are you interested in working for one of the highest rated companies in employee satisfaction?
- Do think outside the box?
- Are you a student looking for an impressive internship?
Still not conviced?Take a look at what current employees are saying about the company: